As you will likely know, Lion Dairy & Drinks (Lion) launched the Be True Blue Drought Relief Fund in October, temporarily increasing the wholesale price of our Pura and Dairy Farmers 1L, 2L and 3L branded white milk in participating retailers by 10c per litre until January 2019.
Funds raised via the initiative are passed on to drought affected farmers in NSW, South East Queensland and Northern Victoria to help mitigate some of the financial challenges created by this devastating drought.
In November, we were proud to announce that funds raised crossed over the $1m milestone, with distribution of funds to drought-affected farmers also beginning to roll-out from mid-November. And in the first week of December the figure is now over $1.4 million.
Lion Dairy & Drinks’ Managing Director Kathy Karabatsas is proud of the achievement to date, and committed to continuing to support fundraising efforts, saying:
“Our campaign has now raised over one million dollars, all of which will go directly to our dairy farmers in NSW, Northern Victoria and South-East Queensland and we are hoping we can give more back with the sales in coming months.”
“With 100 per cent of New South Wales drought-declared, along with areas across Northern Victoria and South-East Queensland, we know that many of our dairy farmers are doing it tough and while we’re proud of the fundraising efforts to date, we know there is more room to grow.”
The Be True Blue Drought Relief Fund campaign will continue 31 January 2019 and at the time of publication, the campaign has raised nearly $2 million.
In addition to establishing the Be True Blue Drought Relief Fund, Lion has taken a number of other steps to support drought-affected farmers, including:
- Offering farmers impacted by the drought across NSW access to interest-free loans to purchase feed, under The Lion Dairy Pride Forage Loan Scheme;
- Offering farmers access to discounted feed such as brewers’ grain and citrus pulp, which is sourced from Lion’s alcohol and juice operations;
- Helping to fund productivity improvements on farm through the Lion Dairy Pride Landcare Grants Scheme;
- Helping farmers improve all areas of their businesses, from milk quality through to effective business management, through Lion’s Dairy Pride online self-assessment tool; and
- Continuing to offer our Lion Dairy Pride Farmer Support Program – an independent and confidential 24-hour counselling support service to our farmers, their families and staff, to help them address any personal issues and access further support if needed.
You can find out more about the campaign, and check out the latest fundraising updates at http://www.truebluedrought.com.au.Test